Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Journaling

I've been reading more of my childhood journal, and loving how childish I was.  I wrote about my best friends and the sleepovers we had.  I wrote about what I got for Christmas, and the first year I was given a training bra. I wrote about what we ate for dinner and what I wish mom would have made instead.  I wrote about my mom having a baby and wishing she would have twins.  I wrote about playing with my cousins and laughing when my cousin Allen put manure in a friend's koolaid, because she had thrown it in his hair.

I want my kids to have the same enjoyable time reminiscing as they flip through their journal more than twenty years later, and smile while reading the statement "I wonder how old I'll be when I come back and read through all of this.  I'll bet I'm pretty old.  I hope I have a boyfriend or something.  That would be great."

Today I gave Kamy a challenge. I told her that I wanted her to write in her journal every day during the month of April.  "What will I get if I do it?" she asked, as her eyes lit up.  I hadn't even prepared to offer a reward, but suddenly, I knew exactly what to offer her.  "I'll take you to get your ears pierced."  For a girl who has always been told that she has to wait until she is 12 years old, she shouted with joy.

Georgie, who was listening to the entire conversation, let out a whimper.  She so desperately wants to get her ears pierced, and talks about it constantly.

Kamy immediately made up a journal-writing calendar and hung it on the wall, as a reminder to write in her journal.  She will cross off each day, after writing her thoughts and feelings.  I'm excited for her.

5 comments:

Colleen said...

What treasures your journals are! And how great that you are encouraging Kamy to do the same. Let's hope her month of journaling gets her hooked! And that is a very cool reward. Poor Georgie!

purejoy said...

i know that my kids used to keep a journal in 2nd and 3rd grade only because their teacher made them for english. they hated it then, but now that they're 19 and 21 they love to look back on them. it's hysterical!
one thing that might be an encouragement might be to give her a prompt…
sometimes a little nudge helps unlock a little writer's block.
when i graduate college, i want to…
or if i had a million dollars, i'd keep $20,000 and use the rest of the money to…
i'm sure you'll come up with some amazing ideas!

Nancy said...

That'll be so exciting for her! I bet she doesn't miss a day!
Did you write about when I was born?

kadie dahl said...

How fun! I always LOVE reading through my old journals, even from just a few years ago from being in high school.

The Girls' Mom said...

To help Riley prepare for Young Women I have been having her watch the youth messages on YouTube's mormon channel and having her journal about them. Kamy has a little longer but she might like that too.