Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Spelling Test Proposal

Last Monday brought about a new spelling list for Kolby, which he wasn't happy about.  After seeing what he has been scoring on every previous spelling test, I knew we really needed to focus on spelling.  So I made a deal with him.  Kolby loves deals.  His face instantly lit up.

I told him that we had to practice his spelling words every day this week, so that he would know how to spell all of the words.  If he got 100% on his Friday test, then I would take him out for an ice cream cone.

"A SNOW CONE!" he instantly corrected.

And so our challenge began.

We studied the words. We took mock tests.  We spelled the words aloud and we  wrote the words again and again.  We sang jingles to the words, so he would remember them. I gave him tricks to remember when it was an 'ou' or an 'aw' or an 'ow'.  By Friday morning, with one last effort, he walked out the door knowing all the words.  I just hoped he could transfer that knowledge to the spelling test later that morning.

It wasn't until Monday morning that I got the paper back.  We were both thrilled to see that he spelled all of  his words correctly.  He missed a few words in a sentence on the back, and that is why it is marked down, but our deal was just spelling words!




His words were:
Over
Mention
Yellow
Hold
Kind
Fantastic
About
Draw
Foundation
Pages
Today
Once

Good job Kolby!!  Hope you enjoy your snow cone!

3 comments:

Heath said...

Great job Kolby. We love you.

Julia said...

Yea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! with spellcheck on everyone's computer, I find that the emphasis, even by teachers is not as great as it used to be. I am a retired teacher an I have seen this happening more and more. And really, is spelling as important as it used to be? I say, "yes," but that is debatable. What a great job by your son though!

Colleen said...

Nice work, Kolby! And you too, Mom.