Friday, May 20, 2011

Kamy's Performances

Tuesday night brought a performance that Kamy has been working towards for months.  Since February, Kamy has been involved in a dance club that met once a week after school.  They learned many dances, which they performed for some school assemblies and functions.  Tuesday night they had an "Evening of the Arts" where we all got to enjoy watching performances from the drama club and the dance club, as well as view some artwork from all the students.

Kamy danced two dances: a waltz and a line dance.  She did a great job, and was very poised.

For the finale of the performance, the dancers did their line dance again, this time including siblings and/or parents to join them on the floor.  Keaton, Kolby, and Kennedy went out there and tried to dance along with everyone else.  Keaton got the hang of it by  the end.  Kennedy was constantly confused with the turns and steps, but she looked so cute trying.  Kolby stood at the back and spun around everytime there was a specific clap or kick in the cycle, and it made both The Husband and I giggle as we watched him.

The next day, the entire 5th grade participated in a Live Wax Museum along the hallways of the school.  Kamy's person of interest, in which she spent a month writing reports, researching information, and drawing pictures about, was Amelia Earhart.  As a side note, despite all this research, we didn't know until a few days beforehand, that she had to dress as Amelia and recite a narrative for the wax museum.  We had a bit of a struggle finding a costume for her, but in the end, it all came together.

Walking the halls, while trying to find Kamyren, and seeing all the kids dressed up and acting like "wax statues" brought a tear to my eye.  I don't know why, but I was so proud of all of them.  I saw Mickey Mantel and Oprah Winfrey.  I saw Willy Wonka and Walt Disney.  I saw Pocahontas and Benjamin Franklin.  I might have even seen an Obama in the mix.   They had all worked so hard, and were all waiting for someone to "push their button" so they could give their live narrative.  I'm sure their teachers and parents were so proud of their work.

Anyway, I found Kamy, and she looked terrific...even though she chose to salute with her left hand.


She recited her short narrative to me.  She said "Hi.  I'm Amelia Earhart, a famous pilot.  I was born in Atchison Kansas in 1897 and died in 1939.  I'm famous for my fantastic flights, such as my solo flight between Hawaii and California, and my flight across the Atlantic.  One interesting fact about me is that in the 1920s I was a nurses aide at Spadina Military Hospital, where I treated the wounded and helped the patients.  I am Amelia Earhart, a famous pilot."

Keaton found her in the hallway, as I was there.  His class members all had clipboards, and were assigned to find three people to gather information from.  Here he is, looking at Kamy as she was pretending to be a wax figurine.  The second picture was taken as he was listening to her statement.  I loved how proud he was, listening to Kamy.

3 comments:

courtney said...

I teared up just seeing how proud Keaton was of Kamy! Very very cool!

kadie dahl said...

HOW FUN! I can't wait to have kids and do stuff like this at their schools! We never did this cool of stuff when I was a kid!

Colleen said...

Fantastic. I love her costume. You have every reason to be proud!