Sunday, June 12, 2011

Evaluated


Last week I brought Kolby to his Pediatrician to discuss whether he had an attention disorder.  Before the end of the school year, I had two of his teachers fill out a questionnaire, regarding Kolby.  The Husband and I also filled out these questionnaires, independently of each other.  The answers were really consistent.

Kolby's doctor seems to think that he does have an Attention Deficit Disorder.  He told us that to some degree, we all have problems focusing on different things, throughout our life.  If it interests us, we can focus a great deal, but for the most part, we tend to daydream a bit, or go through schedules in our heads of what needs to be done, or we think about something that happened yesterday....you get the idea.  Anyway, this is not something that we MUST treat, like an illness.  Kolby could grow out of it.  Most kids do.  However, because this has been a constant struggle for years and years, we are going to try to  help Kolby become more focused.

For the next few months, his doctor and I are going to work on getting the least invasive medicine to help Kolby.  We want him to stay his same sweet lovable self, but hopefully make it easier to focus in class, follow directions, and enjoy learning.  We don't want his appetite or his sleeping schedule to change.  We also got better medication for his allergies and his wheezing, so overall, we are hoping that he won't carry around all of these burdens anymore.

It's been interesting, doing ADD research.  So many things seem to apply to Kolby.  I really want him to not struggle so much, with school. He is a very smart boy.  Hopefully everyone else will be able to see that too.

10 comments:

redmama5 said...

As a mother of a child with severe ADHD and Sensory Integration Disorder, I have to share an excellent resource with you! It is www.additudemag.com
This website has answered my questions and given me wonderful resources and ideas. Please give it a look. They also have a magazine you can subscribe to. Good luck!

linda said...

My youngest son was diagnosed last week with ADHD and we are also going to spend a good portion of the summer trying to find a medicine that will work for him..

Adri said...

Good luck to you all! Kolby is lucky to have you.

I recognize this office...you must go to the same pediatrician that we do!

Maynards said...

Glad you are on the right path, that must be conforting. Kolby is such a cute boy! Good luck.

Bek Bek Bek Bekah said...

I understand the struggles that come from ADD, ADHD, behavior problems and such. It is good that you are helping him to focus, and work on things. Good luck with the meds, I hope that you find one with little to now side effects.

courtney said...

Jared had it as a kid and he, for the most part, grew out of it. He is still silly though and sometimes needs me to bring him back into the real world.

Shannon said...

Have you looked into using natural remedies? I wonder if using high quality essential oils might help him. If you want more info, look into doterra.com or email me at adelariel(at)yahoo.com. (I'm not in anyway affiliated with doterra, I just use the oils and have found them to be a wonderful addition to my medicine cabinet.)

runningfan said...

Good luck! We have different kids with different issues, but I think I can understand the struggle of having a child who needs a boost. I hope this treatment plan makes all the difference.

Colleen said...

It's always nice to have some answers! I hope you are able to find something that works well for you and for Kolby.

Sara said...

We've been going through the same things with Luke. We've had a hard time finding a medication that takes the edge of off his ADHD without affecting his appetite or moods too much. Please let me know if you find one that works for Kolby! I know it varies child to child; We're trying our 4th kind right now, and hopefully this will be a match . . . so far he's tried Focacil, Concerta, Adderall, and now Vyvanse! Keep updating! And I love your family pic at the top of your blog. Sooo cute.