Thursday, June 9, 2011

Math Blaster

Summer months are a time for kids to relax and have fun. No more school.  No more learning.  No more homework, right?  However, it's been proven that a child's learning curve takes a plunge, during the summer months.  Kids tend to score better at the end of a school year, than they do just a few months later, at the beginning of the next grade level.


For this reason, I like to have a summer schedule.  My kids still have reading time everyday.  They still practice writing assignments (journal writing is a great way to accomplish this) or they write reports on the books they read.  We watch educational documentaries.  We visit the zoo and learn about the animals' habitat and life cycle.  We interact with friends to keep up social behavior.  We even have pretend "school days" using old workbooks and worksheets.


Now I have something else to add to our routine.  Not only does this combine computer skills with math skills, it is also very fun for my kids.  They love it so much, and there is never any complaining, when I tell them it's math time.


I'm talking about MathBlasterMathBlaster is a cool and fun program that allows kids to practice their math skills, arcade style.  They can build their math skills level by level, earning points and advancing in rank, all in a colorful and fun environment that kids love.  You can personalize it to start out at their level, which builds confidence.  As they continue to play the different math games, their skills improve. They learn math in a creative and fun way.


By signing up for an account, not only do you have access to MathBlasters, but you can check out their other browser-based virtual world, JumpStart, for kids 3-10 years old.  My kids like both sites!

First, after signing up, your kids can build their own avatar. 


Then, they begin their adventure by going on different missions, where they must answer math questions along the way.


Kolby's favorite is the Hyper Cycle.  He loves to cruise through on his spaceship, while hitting all the little point markers, and seeing his score increase.

I no longer have to struggle to get my kids to practice their math facts.  It comes so easy for them, when they are playing MathBlaster.  Now, after chores are done, I hear my kids asking "Mom, can we play MathBlasters now?  I love that.  They are learning. They are understanding.  They are keeping up with their math skills.  They are also having fun!

If you would like to try out MathBlaster for free, just leave a comment (make sure there is a way to contact you, either through your blog or with an email address) and tell me how you try to keep up your kids learning skills, during the summer months.  I'll draw a random winner Monday morning, and that person will enjoy a free three month membership!

Disclosure: I was provided with a membership good for Math Blaster and Knowledge Adventure at no cost by Knowledge Adventure in order to test the products’ abilities and give my own personal opinions on it. The opinions I have given are mine and may differ from others but were not influenced by the company or the free product provided.

4 comments:

kimberwidmer said...

wow… what a great tool!
my kids used to love to play computer games that were educational. and you're so right about summer time sucking the brains out of kids. i'm a proponent for year round schooling. while i know that's controversial, it would have been a plus for my family.
hope your kids have a super educational summer!

Bek Bek Bek Bekah said...

Huh I had never heard of such a thing. However I think that this would be do great. I too have been trying to think of ways to keep my girls enducation in tact...we will be doing the library reading program, as well as journaling. I have a physical fitness activity too (swimming), and play time with friends. I am excited for the summer, and continuous learning opportunities.

Lydia Davis said...

I love Jumpstart! We have the preschool cds (and so we don't need to win the free trial). I insisted that we get them because I remember how helpful it was for my sister in school. Just wanted to add my positive opinion of their product.

Jen said...

Hannah will love this. I usually do a schedule of reading time and have writing and math workbooks to do. Hannah loves math and I bet she would just explode doing it as a computer game. Be great for when my little boys are napping and I need quiet time.