Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Why Do I Torture Myself?

I hiked The Incline again.  It's not long, into the climb, that the excitement disappears and you begin to say "Why am I doing this again?"  It is such a hard workout.  (By the way, for those who are new, that is NOT the top! There's another 1/3 of a mile after that!)


The middle third is what kills you.  The steps are completely dangerous to climb. Broken pipes and  sandy ledges make it hard, especially because you are so tired.  The grade is so steep it smacks you in the face.  It's not friendly-spaced steps anymore.  It's at that point, that I finally found some shade to rest for two minutes.  I looked down, and took this picture.


Unless you've hiked it, it's hard to grasp the reality of it.  You want to stop.  You want to give up.  You don't think you'll ever get to the top.  Then, suddenly, you are there.  Hallelujah!!!


I had hardly any energy this time around. I was disappointed with my endurance.  I was feeling faint and dizzy and sluggish, and I realized that the next time I do this, I have to have higher calorie intake.  My body needed fuel, and unfortunately, I didn't have it.  Next time, I'll be smarter.

However, it's always with a sense of pride and happiness, that carries you back down the mountain, for it's a great accomplishment, no matter how long it takes you to get to the top.

6 comments:

kadie dahl said...

Awesome job Shaina! Not quite sure I would be able to do it so, good for you!

Nanci said...

Looks like an awesome climb and I can tell in this photo that your diet and exercise has paid off, way to go!

linda said...

Way to go Shaina.. I would not have been able to even get 1/2 way to the top..

Karen and Matt said...

Wow, that's quite the climb! You go girl! Awesome challenge, would love to try it.

purejoy said...

So proud of you… that view going down is spectacular and made me thankful I wasn't climbing too! :)
It is an incredible sense of accomplishment when you push yourself past what you think you're capable. Great job!

Maynards said...

The incline is a beast! Way to go Shaina, you rock.