Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Yesterday, In A Nutshell

Almost exactly one year ago, I wrote a play by play of my entire day. What I did and what the kids did, throughout the day.  Ready for round 2?

5:30am: Wake up to The Husband's alarm, after having spent most of the night tossing and turning, and struggling to sleep well (which I normally do, but not this night!) and I got up twice with Kimble, who normally sleeps through the night as well.  I try to go back to sleep.

5:37am:  Darn cats like to claw at something in my room, and they do this every morning.  It's loud and annoying and I throw them out of my room and close the door before they can come back inside.  I try, again, to go back to sleep.

6:00am:  My alarm goes off.  The Husband is still sleeping.  I get up and make my way blindly to the bathroom, because my eyes won't open yet.  Then, I shower.

6:11am: Done with shower. Mousse, heat protectant, and glossy drops are massaged into my wet hair.  Lotion is on my face, arms, and legs.  Teeth are brushed. 

6:12am: I go downstairs to wake up my kids. We have to leave by 7am today, and I need them up.  I wake up the boys first, but there is nobody in their  beds.  I check the floors and closet, but no sleeping bodies are found.  I go in the girls' room, and find four lumpy blankety bodies all sleeping together.  I wake them all up and send them to the bathroom to start getting ready.  They knew we'd be up early today, but they were not happy about waking up.

6:14am:  I check my email, blog, and facebook.

6:18am: I get Kimble up.  Change his diaper and get clothes on him.  I put him in his high chair and give him his two medicines that we've been giving him since birth, and then put some dry cereal on his tray for breakfast.

6:20am:  I go back in the bathroom to get ready, and purposefully wake The Husband, seeing as it's been almost an hour since his alarm went  off.  He gets up and starts getting dressed to bike to work, and since he took a shower the night before, the  bathroom is all mine for a few minutes, until The Husband comes in, and as he moves beside me to get to the closet, he grazes my waist, squeezes my bum, and says "You are looking thinner, babes."

6:40am:  I am ready and dressed. I see that Kolby has a dirty shirt on and  tell him to change.  I also send Kennedy to change clothes, since she is completely unacceptable for public appearance.  I tell Kamy to feed and water the cats, and start Keaton on making sandwiches for our picnic lunch today (two turkey with mayo and mustard, and two peanut butter and honey).  I get Kimble down and wipe him up.  I put pinto beans and seasonings (and water) into the crockpot, in anticipation of having tacos for dinner.

6:45am:  I gather up items necessary for our long day away from the house, like diapers, wipes, sippy cups, bottle of  milk, Kimble's shoes and socks, as well as Keaton's scout camp things.  It's the first day of a three day scout camp for our old ward/stake, so he needs lunches, supplies, and clothing. Most of this we prepared the night before, but there is still a bit of organizing to do.  I remind Keaton to bring up his toothbrush to add to his bag.  I put together a quick salad, for my lunch.

6:52am:  I see that Kennedy is not ready yet, and have Kamy help to get her ready, while I start bringing things out to the car.  I put my standard mix of oatmeal, flax seed, cinnamon, protein powder, blueberries and slivered almonds in  the microwave for one minute.

7:00am:  I yell to everyone that it's time to go.  Kolby is in the car with another dirty shirt on.  I tell him to go back inside and change.  The  girls don't have their hair done, so I have Kamy grab a brush and rubber bands so I can do it later.  I grab Kimble to buckle him in, and discover that he has a poopy diaper.   I go inside to change him, grab the rest of our snacks, picnic food, supplies, diaper bag, my purse, as well as my oatmeal, and ...

7:09am: We are out the door, 9 minutes late.

7:09-7:41am: We drive north, to our old neighborhood, as I grab bites of my oatmeal periodically.  Along the  way, Keaton practices his line for  his scout camp skit, which is: "Hey Guys!  We just earned our Citizenship of the Nation Badge!"  By the time we get there, we all have it memorized and buzzing around in our heads.

7:41am:  Arrive at our friend's house, where I drop off three kids, then pick up three boys, and we head to the church.

7:48am:  Meet other excited boy scouts at the church, along with other friends who are dropping off their scouts, and we watch as they get instructions, scout daycamp shirts, and practice going through their lines for their skits.  Kimble walks around the grass and sidewalk in his barefeet.  His shoes are in the van, even if they didn't make it on his feet yet.

8:03am: We load up the van with scouts, and head off towards Black Forest Park, where they will spend the day doing amazingly fun "boy" things.  I miss the turnoff, and drive an extra mile before I turn around.

8:20am:  The boys all depart my van and go running off to join the other scouts. I call Keaton back, give him a few instructions and motherly advice since I won't see him for three days (It's three days of day-camp, but he'll be going home with two of his friends, the next two nights, so I don't have to journey up so far, every night and morning, thank goodness) and give him a hug and a kiss. I take a picture of him and Ethan, who's house he's going to stay at tonight, and then he's off to join the others.


8:25am:  The van feels lonely with just Kimble and I.  We drive back to my friend's house where the other kids are already scattered through the house, playing with their friends.

8:40am: I bring  Kimble in, as well as Keaton's bag of clothing changes, and his lunches for the next two days, give Kimble a bottle, change his diaper, and make sure the other kids are doing fine.

9:00am:  We all go outside in the backyard, to play.  I write down the events of the morning, to keep track of things for this post, as I watch Kolby and Kennedy jump on the  trampoline with two of Lydia's kids.

9:20am:  I have to remove Kimble's pants because the wet grass has soaked the bottoms of them.  Kimble doesn't care. He's thrilled to have some independence to go and do whatever he wants.  He carries two cars in his hands, which he occasionally "vrooms" across the ground.


9:21am: My friend Lydia comes out and visits with me for a bit. We talk about Kimble's progress and health, her upcoming foot surgery, my struggles with weight-loss, as we watch our kids play outside (except for Kamy and Brittany, who are downstairs in her room singing Disney songs from The Lion King and The Little Mermaid).  The girl's have been excited to have a playdate, and have really missed each other since we moved 30 minutes away.

9:30am: Sudden raindrops appear, which causes us to shepherd the kids back inside for a bit, despite complaints.

9:32am:  I start cleaning the kitchen, as Lydia and I are talking about random things. Kitchens, afterall, are my favorite "satisfying" household chore.

9:45am: Lydia sits down to feed her baby. I give Kimble his forgotten bottle of milk, which he takes a bit of and then starts climbing the stairs and yelling, because he likes the echo that he hears.  It's fun for him, but hard to carry on a conversation over the noise.

10:00am: The kids are hungry, but I tell them we'll eat soon.They go back to playing.  I still haven't seen Kamy (or Brittany) but can still hear them singing from the room  below.

10:30am:  Head to the park. Teralyn came along with us, but Kamy stayed at the  house with Brittany.

10:35am: Bring out picnic lunch.  Nobody seems thrilled about it, even though they all complain of starvation.  Sandwiches have to be eaten before fruit and crackers.  Kimble shakes his head "no" repeatedly, at my attempts to feed him a sandwich.

10:45am:  Kids play at the park.  Kimble climbs up onto playground equipment repeatedly, and I'm not quite ready for that.  Kolby helps keep him safe while I eat my salad.

10:50am:  I push Kimble in the swing, and thrill over how much he loves it.  Georgie takes over pushing him for a while.  Kolby plops himself  next to me and says "Nobody wants to play with me." but is only grumpy for a minute before he returns to the monkey bars.

 11:00am: The sun is beating down on us. I wish I had worn  capris instead of pants, but it's such a beautiful day.


11:10am: The kids are playing great, and there is no one else at the park, which is nice. I overheard Teralyn asking Kolby how old he is, and he replies "The month I was born in is classified."  Kolby is still grumpy.



11:45am:  We pack up to go to the library.

11:55am:  We are at the library.  It's not too crowded.  I instruct the kids to find books.  No computer.

11:56am: Kolby announced that he's done reading an  entire book, and had earned computer time.  I disagree.  I tell him we are only reading.  He spends the next 30 minutes "wrestling" with all the big stuffed animals they have around the library, and then standing in front of an unoccupied computer, staring at it longingly.


12:11pm: Kimble stands on a chair and then steps off it backwards and falls.  His scream and cries silences the library, as everyone looks at me and wonders why I wasn't watching my kid.

12:25pm:  Everyone has picked out a few books (except Kolby) and I got a few for Kamy and Keaton.

12:35pm: We check out our books and head back to the van.

12:37pm:  In the car, Kolby looks at the sky and says "I wonder which one of those clouds is Jesus's cloud.  Probably the biggest one!"

12:40pm:  We arrive back at Lydia's house.  Kimble fell asleep in the three minute drive there, and I leave him in the van (with the AC on) and help Kolby and Kennedy brush their teeth because we have to goto their dentist appointments next (which is the whole reason we stuck around up north all morning).  Teralyn stays at her house.  Kamy and Brittany take off down the street to walk to Brittany's piano lesson.  I load Kolby and Kennedy in the van (with sleeping Kimble) and we drive to the dentist.

12:52pm:  Arrive at dentist.  Kennedy and Kolby run inside.  I take a sleeping Kimble in my arms and walk inside, sign in, and sit down to wait.


1:05pm:  The kids are taken back (they both have fillings to get done) and the waiting room is so quiet I want to go to sleep.  Instead, I just hold Kimble and play carcasonne on my itouch.

1:30am:  Kimble wakes up and is grumpy from such a short nap.  Unfortunately, I don't have a bottle for him, but two packages of fruit snacks, stored away in my purse, save the day.  When he's done eating, and he took a drink from the water fountain, I turned on Toy Story 2 on my itouch and he watched it, contentedly, in my lap  for 15 minutes.

2:00pm: Dentist visit is done!  I love to see my kids' crooked numbed smiles.


 2:05pm:  After paying for the visit and making Kennedy's final appointment, we get in the van and head to the Pediatrician office to pick up a prescription that is waiting for us, from Kolby's previous appointment last week.

2:09pm:  Park.  Unload kids, walk into building.  Get prescription slip from the front desk, walk back out, load up everyone again.

2:11pm:  Head to Sonic, where I order two vanilla cones, which comes to $2.15.  I hand  them back to Kolby and Kennedy, as a reward for being so good at the dentist.  Kolby gives licks to Kimble, but only when he says "peese" and not when he screams.  It's trial and error.


2:20pm:  We are  back at Lydia's house, to pick up Kamy.  It takes a few minutes to get her to realize that they are done with their playdate, and we have to go.  At this point, they were playing the wii.



2:25pm:  Say goodbye to Lydia and kids.  We are in the van heading south.  Not going home yet.  One more stop to go.

2:40pm:  We arrive at the DMV where we have to register The Husband's car.  I park next to a parking meter and put in enough change to add up to 1 hr and 18 minutes.  I'm hoping that will do it.  I put Kimble in the stroller, give a library book to Kamy, and grab a bag of animal crackers.  I stop Kolby from drinking a can of Mountain Dew, that was left on the sidewalk, next to our parking space.  Gross.


 2:43pm:  Get number to wait in line.  We are in one of four groups.  In our group, number 411 is being served, and we are number 415. I have high hopes.

3:00pm:  Still waiting.  Number hasn't changed in our group,but at least a dozen have been called in other groups.  The kids are taking turns on the itouch, which has brought a curious neighbor boy over and he practically takes it out of the kids' hands, in order to see it.  His dad calls him back over to him, but  the kid doesn't listen.  I remove it from his hands and place it back in Kennedy's hands.  He is practically sitting on her lap, trying to see the screen.

3:11pm:  The number changes!  Now serving 412.  I continue to hand out animal crackers to Kimble. Kamy reads her book and Kolby watches the screen for the number changes.


3:13pm:  Now sering 413!  Kennedy starts pushing Kimble around in circles, in his stroller.

3:17pm:  Serving 414!

3:20pm:  Kennedy has to go potty.  So does Kolby.  He decides to wait.  Kamy takes Kennedy potty.

3:21pm:  Someone sits down behind us, and Kimble says "Hi!". She replies back, and they have a few moments of conversation.

3:22pm:  Now serving number 415.  We walk up to the desk and I hand him our expired registration card.  We get our new address imputed (which is why we couldn't do it online) and in a few minutes, we are done, and handed over a check for $164 dollars.

3:25pm:  Kamy and Kennedy come back from the bathroom. We start to leave, then Kolby decides he has to go.  We wait for him outside the Men's room.

3:28pm:  I take a picture outside City Hall, with the girls by the "big horsie".


3:29pm:  Back to the car.  The can  of Dew is still there, and I make sure Kolby doesn't swipe it.  There are 37 minutes left on our meter.  We start to drive home.

3:55pm:  We arrive home.  Kids get unloaded and most of them stay outside to play with all the neighbors, who were gathered in front of our house, waiting for us to be home.  I bring Kimble inside, turn on  the AC, and talk on the phone  to my dear friend Gladys, who was my boss at the movie theater, my very first job in the small town I grew up in. I called her to chat, and to wish her a happy birthday.

4:20pm:  I'm off the phone, and Kimble and I share a cup of ice.  He loves crushed ice almost as much as I do.  We veg for a while, enjoying the relaxation and quiet.  I check email, blog, and facebook again, after taking Kimble off my computer, where he likes to sit.

5:00pm:  The Husband comes home.  He's been biking to and from work (as long as the weather is good) and he heads to the shower to get cleaned up.

5:20pm:  I can neither confirm  or deny the possibility of some  hanky panky happenings, when The Husband came out of the bathroom after his shower.

5:40pm:  Kimble sits between us as we watch a random show on tv, hungry...but not too eager to start dinner.

6:00pm:  Kids are hungry.   I ask The Husband to do the chicken for our tacos, as I turn my crockpot of pinto beans into the most amazing refried beans in the world!  I also feed Kimble some pretzels, a cheese stick, and a bannana. He goes for the bananna first.

6:30pm:  Dinner is prepared and we begin eating.  The kids all have three or four tacos each.  It seems strange without Keaton at home.  Kimble is getting fussy, because of his early wake-up and his short nap.  I forsee an early bedtime for him.

6:47pm:  I instruct the girls to shower first while Kolby cleans the kitchen (his chore for this week) and then they'll swap, with the girl's doing their chores.

7:03pm:  Kolby still hasn't done anything in the kitchen.  Girls are done with the showers. I  help Kolby get going in the kitchen.  Kamy is reading a library book to Kennedy.

7:17pm: I check facebook and see that someone has mentioned a new MTV series called Teen Wolf, and I automatically think about Michael J. Fox and Thriller.  I watch the promo for the show, and tell myself that if I'm bored, I will check it out at another time.  Then I watch the promo for Breaking Dawn.  After that, I log in to myfitness.com to chart what I've eaten this day...which wasn't much.  I needed an afternoon snack, but didn't pack one with me on our adventures.

7:30pm: Kimble gets changed, bottled and binkied, and put to bed.  His eyes are already closed when I cover him up.  Then I go into the kitchen, which I find deserted, and call for Kolby.

7:31pm: Kolby comes up wrapped in a blanket, naked underneath, and says he can't possibly do the kitchen without clothes on, and is going to take a shower.

7:34pm:  Kolby comes upstairs and says he took a shower and is all clean.  I question his speed, but don't make him go back to do it right.  He helps finish the kitchen by wiping down all the counters and sweeping (kind of). I already had the dishwasher loaded and the food put away.

7:45pm:  Done with kitchen.  Lights out; everyone out.  I tell the kids that if they are quiet, they can stay up for an hour, and to go downstairs.

8:00pm:  I lie down on the bed.  I'm tired from being on the go all day, and from not getting very much sleep the night before.  The Husband and I watch Masterchef, which I love.

9:00pm: I go to sleep.  Good night all!

4 comments:

Maynards said...

Oh, the life of a mom. What a day! Kudos to you.

Dan and Katie said...

oh my goodness! I wish we had more kids the same age, so you would come to my house for a play date! Oh, I did catch one use of "Georgie" instead of Kennedy :) Miss you!

joolzmac said...

I got tired just reading that post! You really are a super mum - well done!

Colleen said...

These kinds of posts are always so exhausting and entertaining! What a day!