Friday, July 1, 2011

Oh My!

I made some ice cream this week.  I couldn't resist it.  I found the most amazing recipe and I knew I needed to try it. At this point, all reason goes flying out the window.  I could hear myself, in my head, saying..."But Shaina, aren't you lactose intolerant?  But Shaina, aren't you on your strict "no sugar" diet?  But Shaina, you don't even have an ice cream maker."  Blah Blah Blah. I made ice cream, and it was delicious!  (I borrowed my friend's Cuisinart, and it was perfect.)


I realize this picture doesn't even come close to making you recognize the true potential of this incredible dessert.  This ice cream, my friends, is what happens when a key lime falls head over heels in love with dark chocolate, and they have little graham cracker babies that swim around in lime zest and cream. Heavenly!

I got this recipe from The Hungry Housewife, who's recipes are right up my alley.  I loved this so much, that I wanted to make-out with my limes. However, I wasn't alone in the kitchen, so it's probably for the best that I reserved myself.   Besides the fact that the ingredients are among my fav's, this ice cream tastes so remarkably similar to my very own Key Lime Pie (due to the fact that it's practically the same ingredients, sans eggs), only it's served frozen, and the graham crackers are mixed through the ice cream, and then you add chocolate chunks!!  Amazing.

Here is the recipe.

Key Lime Pie Ice Cream with Chocolate Chunks

1 1/2 cups whole milk
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
3/4 cup fresh lime juice (zest 2of your limes first!)
1 can (14 oz) sweetened condensed milk
1/4 tsp salt
zest of two limes
2 oz semi-sweet (or dark) chocolate, chopped
1/3 cup chopped graham crackers

Thoroughly combine milk, cream, lime juice, condensed milk, and salt in a bowl.  (Zest two of your limes before you juice them.  Simply reserve zest for later.)  Place in fridge for at least two hours, until chilled through.  After two hours, set up your ice cream maker (your insert canister should already be frozen, if using an automatic).  Pour milk mixture into ice cream maker, and start machine.

When your ice cream is thickened, and almost ready, add in your zest, chocolate chunks, and graham crackers.  Watch in fascination as it gets mixed in, and you should sample it at this point, just so you can do a "This is so freakin' good!" happy dance around your kitchen.

Once ice cream is finished mixing, you can serve it immediately (depending on thickness preferred) or you can store in a freezer-safe container until ready to devour.  Makes 11/2 quarts.

3 comments:

linda said...

My husband loves key lime pie. I am going to have to make this ice cream for him.

"Hello... It's Me Again..." said...

I wonder if you could substitute unsweetened almond milk for the milk?

It sounds so good, but milk products don't agree with our tummies and I've found almond milk does okay with us when I make smoothies.

Sorry I haven't visited or blogged in a hundred years.

Have a happy 4th!

Jamie in Oklahoma

shaina said...

Jamie, I think that would totally work. Try it and let us know!