Sunday, September 4, 2011

Young Womens

In our church, the girls ages 12 to 18 are called Young Women.  For the  past few months, I have been teaching the  majority of them during the final hour of church.  It's been a really fun calling, and pretty low-key.  Show up; teach a lesson; no other commitments.

A few weeks ago, the Bishop (our priesthood leader in our local ward or church boundary) brought me into his office and told me that he felt strongly that I should be the new Young Women's President.  At first, I thought "What?  Me?  Don't  you mean someone older?  I'm too young to be the president!"  Afterall, I still remember with crystal clarity my very first time attending young women's when I was twelve.  At the  mid-week activity, all the young men and young women were combined, and they were having a square-dance in the parking lot.  I remember dancing with a very tall boy and eating cookies afterwards.

When I was fourteen, I remember accomplishing some sort of goal that my teacher assigned our class, and thus, I was the recipient of a plate of chocolate chip cookies.  For years, I constantly heard "Well, what does Shaina like?  She loves Chocolate Chip Cookies!!" (said with a scrunch of the shoulders and a soft squeaky voice, imitating my teacher.)

When I was seventeen, I was very close to my teacher, who was our Young Women's President.  I remember constantly being at their house, hanging out, having dinner, and T.P.ing their front yard.  One time I didn't know I was discovered, and while T.P.ing in ignorance, they were coming along behind me, undoing it all.  When finished, I turned around, and her and her husband each had armloads of toilet paper, to which her husband said "Thanks for the month supply of toilet paper" as he brought it inside and put it under their bathroom sink.

I have fond fond memories of the Young Women's Program, but since I haven't been in Young Womens since I was actually a young women, I feel very overwhelmed by my new calling.

Of course I accepted the calling, and spent the week praying and fasting and pondering over who should be my counselors.  I chose people who were diligent and hard working in their current callings, and thus I knew they would be fabulous counselors to help me with the workload.  I also chose people who the young women know and respect and like, knowing that was half the battle.

As much as I feel completely not-ready for this huge responsibility, when the Bishop asked me to be the president, I also felt "Yeah, it's been coming. This is the calling you should have."

So suddenly I have a very busy schedule (which is part of the reason why I haven't blogged as much as of late), feel very overwhelmed, but I'm also excited for what's to come.

9 comments:

Nancy said...

thats exciting!

Bek Bek Bek Bekah said...

You will be a great YW leader Shaina. I am excited for you and the experiences that you will have with the girls in your ward. I remember the Chocolate chip cookies and when I read it I said it in the same tone you discrided. Hahahaha!!!! Anyways, you are great, don't doubt yourself, you will be loved and looked up too for sure. I know I do.

Robin said...

Congratulations Shaina! You will be a wonderful leader for those YW. You're a great example of how to grow up; living right and working hard and never forgetting to have fun and be happy along the way! They'll love you! :)

Colleen said...

You are going to be GREAT! You have so much to share and give to those girls.

Julee said...

Shaina, you'll love that calling! I spent 3 years as a counselor and 1 year as president and I really loved it. You'll do an AMAZING job~ :)

Julia said...

What a lucky group of young women!!!

dippyrooroo said...

I'm so excited for you! This will be such an adventure for you and your family too!

Jeff and Lori said...

You are going to be fantastic at that calling! You and Colleen are both perfect for the job. I'm not surprised at all.

Shere said...

Congrats Shaina! You are perfect for this and I am sure you will do an outstanding job.