Sunday, November 20, 2011

Brisket

You may have noticed a lack of recipes, on my blog, that contain red meat (or fish for that matter, but let's not get off topic).  Red meat and I don't really get along, so it's not often that I buy it.  We eat mostly chicken, turkey, and pig in our household, but there are times when red meat is intentionally purchased, and gets consumed in my household, though these times are few and far between.

There was one such opportunity last month, as The Husband and I were perusing some cookbooks that I had checked out at the library (livin' large, I tell ya), when he saw a recipe he wanted to try; a recipe for a brisket sandwich.  A sandwich.  Huh.  (He loves sandwiches, and I don't.)  Well, I probably scrunched up my nose in indifference, as I moved on through my cookbook, and marked my own desirable recipes.  Then, a few days later, as I made up our grocery list/menu, I conveniently left out this recipe, and gathered the books to return to the library.

Oh, but The Husband was on to me.  He said "You got my brisket sandwich recipe out of that book, right?"  No.  I did not.  So, I wrote down the recipe quickly, and included the necessary ingredients on my shopping list, and then returned the book to the library.  I don't even remember what the book was called, so I can't even credit this properly.  I'm just glad I wrote down the recipe, because It.Was.Good.

I made it.  I ate it.  I liked it.  Now I'm posting it.


Brisket Sandwich

2 Tbsp oil
1 Brisket cut of meat (about 5 pounds)
Salt & Pepper
4 cloves of Garlic
1 cup beef stock
4 stalks of celery, cut in chunks
1 onion, cut in chunks
2/3 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup tomato paste
1/3 cup red wine vinegar
1/3 cup dijon mustard
1/3 cup soy sauce
2 bay leaves
1 tsp paprika
1 dozen crusty sandwich rolls


Heat oil in a pan over the stovetop.  Add in garlic and cook a minute or so to incorporate the garlic into the oil.  Season meat on all sides generously with salt and pepper.  Brown meat in oil for a few minutes on each side.  By searing the meat, you caramelize the outside layer and promote some great flavors as it slow-cooks afterward.  (Tip:  If your piece of meat is too big for your pan, or your for the crockpot, you can cut the meat in three sections so you can handle it better.)

In your crockpot, add the remaining ingredients.  Mix gently to combine everything.  Then, place brisket, and any oil drippings that may be leftover, in your crockpot, and position it into your mixture.  Cover your crockpot with the lid, and cook on low for 9 hours, or on high for 6 hours. (You can keep it cooking longer, if necessary, if you aren't ready to eat yet, or you have a bigger piece of meat that requires longer cooking time.)

You will know when your meat is finished if it falls apart as you pick up a section.  To serve, remove meat from liquid, and let sit for about 10 minutes.  Then, shred meat using two forks (or whatever method you want).  You can use some of the cooking liquid to pour over your meat, if you want, to keep it nice and juicy.

We served the brisket on a hard roll (I got a packaged dozen or so in the bakery department at my grocery store) and we also spread a little mayo on the bread.  This is how we ate it, but you can add other things to the sandwich, if you so choose.

I was really surprised at how much I liked the flavors of the meat.  The ingredients all worked together to create a really amazing taste.  Give it a try. I think you'll like it.  (If you find that you have a lot of leftovers, the meat can be frozen in a double-lined Ziploc bag.  Simply thaw in your fridge for 24 hours before re-heating.

2 comments:

Shavonne said...

YUM! That sounds good. I think ill have to make that soon! Glad you branched out. Now you'll have to try my fish taco recipe that is awesome ;) its got avocado mango salsa!

The 6 Sisters said...

That looks so good! I feel the same way about a sandwich but after hearing it from you. . . We'll give it a try. Also, had to catch up on Big Boy Kimble! Happy birthday to him. Isn't it amazing how time passes even when it's so crazy and up and down. He is one handsome two year old and looks like he had a great birthday. Love you guys. This is Nicki on Sophie's account. . .