Monday, November 28, 2011

Pumpkin Love

I have to say, I've never been a huge  pumpkin fan.  I have always gagged a bit, whenever a pumpkin pie gets too close to my senses.  Even opening a can of pumpkin filling grosses me out.  But, if I can get beyond that, then anyone with the same feelings about pumpkin pie should here me out.  This next recipe is super good.

While at my cousin's house a few months ago for the Balloon Festival, Allen and Monique made all of us a big batch of pumpkin chocolate chip pancakes.  I was sure that I would simply feed some to Mr. Kimble and then have something else for myself, but I tried them and liked the flavors.  Just like my Pumpkin Roll, I'm finding that even though I hate pumpkin, there are things that you can make with it that completely changes the taste.


Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Pancakes

3 c. pancake mix (whatever brand you have where you just 'add water')
2 cups oats
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup flax seed
 1 Tbsp cinnamon
 1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 1/4 cup canned pumpkin
3 1/2 cups water
1 cup chocolate chips

Mix everything together until it is well incorporated.  Heat up griddle; grease the pan with a little butter or cooking spray.  Using a ladle, or a 1/3 cup measuring cup, begin forming your pancakes.  Flip over when underside is golden brown.  Repeat with remaining batter.

This batch of pancakes makes about 24 good-size pancakes. We topped off each pancake with a spread of peanut butter, and a drizzle of syrup.   The pancakes are very rich tasting, with the addition of the chocolate chips, and they were filling too. 


Each of my boys only had one pancake, and then they went off to play in our church's Turkey Bowl, Thanksgiving morning.  We put the extra pancakes in a Ziploc bag in the fridge, and had them for the next few mornings.  Mr. Kimble, especially, loved them.  You can also freeze the extras, and have them when you want at a later time.

1 comment:

Colleen said...

Mmm...pumpkin pancakes are the best. We've been using a recipe I found on Two Peas and Their Pod awhile back and we are all pretty hooked!