Sunday, November 6, 2011

Two Years With You

What a happy day for us. Mr. Kimble turned 2 years old, and I'm not quite sure what to think about it! In anticipation of his birthday, my mind kept turning back to those significant life-changing moments.

I thought about the night before he was born. I spent the entire night with my mind racing through all the possible outcomes the next day would bring. Then, the next morning while waiting for the amnio to begin, I couldn't stop going crazy with possibilities.



I thought about labor and delivery, and those two minutes I had to hold him before they took him to the NICU. I remembered the night nurse telling me he had a fussy night, and I remember feeling so annoyed at her that I wasn't allowed to hold him.


I remember the lifetime of moments we had at The Children's Hospital. All the goodbyes we had to say. All the emergencies we went through. All the stroking of cheeks and whisperings of love.



I remember his first smiles. I remember the rejoicing we had when he could breastfeed again after his clef lip surgery. I remember bringing my baby home after his third heart surgery, and finally making his crib set for him, because now I knew that he would live to use it.


I thought about his first birthday, and our reunion with his heart baby friends as we delivered over a thousand blankets to the patients at The Children's Hospital.



I thought about how just a month later, we found ourselves back in the hospital, with Kimble suffering from a serious infection, and being the recipient of another donated blanket.


I thought about the special times Kimble and I share, in the middle of the night, when he wakes up and just needs some cuddling. I feel him breathe against my chest, and he puts his head over my heartbeat, and we just hold each other. I love those nights, and it's during those times that my mind often journeys back through what we've been through with Kimble.

I hope he knows how much we love him, and how blessed we are to have him in our family. He has taught us patience, love, faith, hope, service, humility, happiness, and so many other attributes that reflect our Savior.

It's been an amazing two years with you, baby boy. Thank you for making us a better family.

4 comments:

runningfan said...

Happy birthday to a very special baby boy!

Shavonne said...

I love all the 'best of'pictures. He sure is worth all the heartache you've had over the last two years! He really completes your family ( and ours)

Enjoying Life One day @ a Time! said...

This is such a great story. I love reading your stories all the time. Happy Birthday to your angel Kimble...my God bless him and your family forever...

kendra said...

a perfect day! he is blessed to have you too! happy birthday kimble!