Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Day 5 CHRISTmas: Dinner!

Today we brought dinner to a family that is going through some health issues.  We made chicken enchiladas, refried beans, and Spanish rice.  We made some for ourselves as well, and it was soooo good.  If you haven't tried these recipes before, I encourage you to put it on your menu soon.  They are both on my favorites list.  (Keaton and Kolby were helping me deliver it, and Kimble was playing peek-a-boo.)



Growing up, I'd often come home from school to find my mom hard at work in the kitchen, preparing a meal for someone else.  It would always smell so good and we all knew that a lot of thought and effort went in to making it.  Sometimes there wouldn't be enough of the meal for us to have some too, after we brought it to the family in need.  I'll admit that after smelling and seeing all the delicious food, it was a bummer that we didn't get to eat it.  Again, most of the time we ate the same thing, but when you are feeding another family, sometimes there just wasn't enough to go around, despite all the effort to make enough.

I try to teach my kids the same thing.  When we are serving others, by bringing dinner, it's important to go the extra mile.  I try to make the best meal possible.  I try to go above and beyond, because when it comes to service, you always get more out of it than the ones you are serving.  I know that others do the same thing, because we have been on the receiving end of meals and service quite a few times, especially when Kimble was little and going through surgeries.  What goes around comes around.  I'm so glad my mom taught me through example, how to serve others, and I'm always happy to bring dinner to a family in need.

3 comments:

Mags said...

Your mother is an amazing woman.

joolzmac said...

God Bless You!

Colleen said...

Another couple of great days of CHRISTmas!