Monday, December 5, 2011

Day 4 CHRISTmas: The Spirit of Giving

On Saturday, the kids had fun decorating the tree.  While going through the ornaments, I came across one that had a message attached to it.  It must have been given to me at a church meeting, years ago.  I can't remember the details, but the message is inspiring, and very timely since we are doing 31 days of CHRISTmas.   I thought I would share it with you.  It's a quote from our Prophet, President Monson, and is taken from the December 2008 Ensign.  (To know more about my church, go to LDS.org for more information.)

"Giving, not getting, brings to full bloom the Christmas spirit...The spirit of Christmas illuminates the picture window of the soul, and we look out upon the world's busy life and become more interested in people than in things.  To catch the real meaning of the "spirit of Christmas", we need only drop the last syllable, and it becomes the "Spirit of Christ"."

On Sunday, for our service, we looked for ways to invite Christ into our family.  We spoke softly.  We were reverent at church.  In fact, the kids were so reverent at church that I didn't ask them once to be quiet.  There were no fidgeting.  No talking.  No coloring or playing.  They all sat still and listened to the speakers and testimonies for the entire hour.  Then they jumped up and went to their primary classes without playing around.  I was so impressed by them.

We came home from church and during dinner, I read the kids this quote, and then we discussed what it meant.  Afterwards, we snuggled together in my room and enjoyed watching the First Presidency Message on tv. It was a great day, and I'm so glad we made the effort to invite Christ into our activities throughout the day.

No comments: