Thursday, December 8, 2011

Day 7 CHRISTmas: Garbage


Yesterday was garbage day for most of my neighborhood.  Ours is today, because we have a different service. At any rate, there were lots of empty garbage bins decorating the street.  I sent my kids around the block (and some of their little friends went with them) and they politely asked people if they could do service for them by returning their garbage bins to their side yards.

Some weren't home, so their garbage bins were left as they were (we didn't want to go through people's gates if they didn't give permission) but everyone that was home gave permission for the kids to do this service.

However, even with the fact that they said "service", most people tried to pay the kids.  They earned upwards of three dollars (which I made them return to the people and stress that it was done in service).

3 comments:

courtney said...

I wish someone would just bring in my trash bin. For some reason, I just hate walking out to our street to pick in back up and roll it in.

I have been enjoying reading your days of CHRISTmas.

Colleen said...

Awwww, but MOM!!! :) Another great service idea!

Ryan said...

This is such a great idea! I was just getting discouraged with how rotten we are all feeling this Christmas as we are soaking up all the service and not giving any. This is a great way to teach the kids. I might just have to simplify it down to five days--I think that's doable for me this year. Thanks for the great idea. Oh, I tried calling, do you still have magic jack?