Saturday, December 17, 2011

More Meatballs

Here is another recipe I found on Pinterest, and then tweaked to my liking.  Meatballs and mozzarella cheese wrapped in biscuits, and dipped in marinara sauce.  Sounded great, but I wanted to go further.  I made my own meatballs, wrapped them in garlic bread, and topped it with a breadcrumb and Parmesan cheese topping...and then dipped it in marinara.  Sounded good to me!

Meatball Stuffed Garlic Bread

20 Rhodes Rolls, thawed (or you could make your own bread dough)
20 meatballs (store-bought or handmade, but make sure to pre-cook them if they are handmade)
8 oz mozzarella cheese, cut into diced cubes
1/2 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
1 Tbsp Italian seasoning
1/4 cup melted butter
Garlic salt

Directions:

Thaw your rolls on a greased baking sheet until they are pliable (or make your own dough and form into balls).  In a separate bowl, combine your Parmesan cheese, Italian seasoning, and breadcrumbs together.  Pre-cook your meatballs, if applicable.

Using your fingers, flatten out a roll.  Place a meatball in the center of the dough, with a cube of mozzarella on either side of the meatball.  Form dough around the meatball, enclosing it.

(When I first made this, I cut the meatballs in half, and only placed half inside each dough ball.  However, once it was cooked, I had much more bread and not enough meat, so I have since placed a whole meatball in the dough ball, and it works out great.  You can use store bought meatballs if you want, and simply defrost them if they are the pre-cooked kind, or you can use a homemade meatball, just make sure you cook them first before you begin this assembly.  I have two meatball recipes that are fantastic.  Swedish Meatballs or Italian Meatballs.)

After your dough roll is enclosed around the meatball and cheese, dip the top into your melted butter first, and then your breadcrumb mixture.  The butter helps adhere the breadcrumb mixture.


Place seam-side down on a greased baking sheet.   Continue until all the rolls are finished.  Then, sprinkle the tops with garlic salt.

Bake at 375 for about 25 minutes.  The tops should be a nice golden brown, and the undersides will be nicely browned as well.



Break open your roll and see the yumminess inside!  Dip in marinara sauce and enjoy!  This makes a great dinner, or a perfect party treat!

This recipe may remind you of my Chicken Pillows.  If you haven't tried those yet, I completely recommend it!

6 comments:

joolzmac said...

They look positively wicked!

Jen Sue Wild said...

I will have to try these. I had a friend who lived in Gremany whos mom made these exsept the meat ball was as big as the bread part. I loved them.

Adri said...

They look so yummy! Whenever I make meatballs, I always have leftovers... this will be a great way to use 'em up!

kadie dahl said...

I can't wait to try these babies out!!!!!

olieann said...

have you tried these in frozen yeast dough??? if so do you let them rise or bake immediately????

shaina said...

Olieann,
Thaw the frozen dough most of the way, until it's pliable enough to flatten and shape. Then, after you form the balls, you can definitely let it sit an additional 20 minutes, and then bake.