Monday, January 9, 2012

Liquid Reeses

I mentioned in December that I made the most delightful ice cream topping.  It's so amazing, though, that you won't want to limit it to just ice cream.  Use it as an apple dipper, or as a spread over toast or pancakes.  Fondue it or simply eat it by the spoonful.  It is so so good.

I'm a lover of chocolate and peanut butter.  Preferably together.  This sauce not only marriages the two in a completely sinful way, but the flavor clones my favorite weakness:  Reeses. 

Yes.  I'm telling you this:  If you have ever gotten a jumbo box of Reeses peanut butter cups for Christmas, simply because your Dad knew how much you loved them...If you've ever told your kids that the entire bag of mini Reeses are gone, but then secretly ate the last dozen while hiding in your locked bathroom...If you've ever told your kids that it's the law that they must give you all Reeses acquired during Trick-or-Treating...If you've ever ridden your bike three miles to the country store, just to spend your pennies on some Reeses, and then ate them all before you even left the parking lot...If you've ever gotten a Reeses blizzard at Dairy Queen and dug through it all, eating all the Reeses chunks and leaving the ice cream...If you've ever found yourself mid-diet, and wake up having dreamt about dancing Reeses wearing ping pong balls dangling around their luscious chocolaty ridges like a ballerina's tutu...then this is the sauce for you.

What?  You mean you haven't had any of those circumstances happen to you?  I guess I'm the odd one out.  At any rate, if you love chocolate and peanut butter even a little bit, then you will LOVE this recipe.  Plus, it's super easy to make.  Give it a try.  You'll be back for more.


Milk Chocolate Peanut Butter Fudge Sauce

1 14 oz can of Sweetened Condensed Milk
1 1/2 cups milk chocolate chips
1 cup peanut butter

approximately 1/2 cup of boiling water

In a saucepan, over medium-high heat, add your sweetened condensed milk, chocolate chips, and peanut butter.  As your mixture heats through, it will be easier to incorporate.  Make sure you are stirring often (almost always) so your mixture doesn't burn.

In a separate pot, bring your water to boil.  Once it is boiling, remove from heat.  After your chocolate sauce is all heated through, it will start to be a bit gummy and thick.  At this point, add in your water a little bit at a time and stir through.  Your sauce will begin to thin out nicely, and once you've added enough water to get your desired consistency, you are done! (You may or may not use all the 1/2 cup of water.  It's an approximation, and purely dependent on how thin/thick you want your sauce.)


I poured my sauce into jars and distributed them amongst friends.  If you are only making this for yourself, then consider halving the recipe...although you will be left with half a can of sweetened condensed milk, which I don't often have a use for and thus I hate to see it wasted.  I'd much rather have an extra few jars of this sauce, in my fridge.  But that's just me.

This sauce tastes amazing if it 's poured over vanilla ice cream (or your choice of flavor) and eaten while it's hot and oozing over the cold ice cream.  Just lovely.



If you are curious, this sauce, which I've deemed Liquid Reeses, it came from Nigella Lawson, a Food Network Chef, who's primary culinary aim is to see comfort food richly bubbling away at her stove top. I thank her, immensely, for this prized addition to my recipe collection.

5 comments:

Sheri said...

That sounds delish! For leftover condensed milk in the future...here is a recipe my family loves...it is a jello salad.

1 can cherry pie filling
1 can condensed milk
1 carton cool whip
1 can pineapple tidbits, drained
mini marshmallows

So easy, I have made it in the car on my way to a potluck!

ryanamysmom said...

So..... you're killin' me! Went to the gym for an hour of Zumba today..... and I get home and read this? Really?

My new fav snack: faux apple pie: Warm apple sauce (chunky applesauce is really good) topped with cinnamon toast crunch cereal.... yummy and fat free... and it's kinda like a fruit!

Patti S. said...

Thank you so much for posting this!!! I'm going to make it this weekend, and I bet it will be added to my Christmas gifts next year..........

Karen and Matt said...

Aw nuts! You are going to be the death of me! LOL I love Reeses anything! It looks so good, can't wait to try it! =)

Heather said...

OH MY GOODNESS....I had just written not too long ago on my own blog about two things that I absolutely love..one of them being peanut butter and the other Nutella....so when I saw this post, I was in Heaven...or pretty close :)

I cannot wait to try this!!!! Your chicken pillows are a fav in my house already!

Thanks for all the inspiring things you accomplish and post about!