Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Milky Cereal


The day has come.  The day when the baby of the family decides he can no longer live another day of his life without having his previously dry bowl of cereal receive a makeover in the form of M.I.L.K.

Milk poured over cereal.  My nemesis. The creator of my queasiness.  The instigator of dry heaves.  The reason I cannot be in the kitchen when people are eating breakfast cereal.  The slurping.  The sogginess.  The sound of half chewing/half sloshing.  The inevitable drink-the-crumb-infested-flavorified-milk from the bowl after completion of cereal eating.  The smell.  Oh, the smell.  I find it disgusting.

This week, Mr. Kimble decided he needed milk in his bowl of multi-grain cheerios.  Besides the fact that to me, cheerios is the worst offender of cereal-breath, merely witnessing this life-changing moment was bittersweet.  I love that he is growing and changing and learning new things.  However, I'm now grieved that I can never have post-cereal kisses from him e.v.e.r. again.  Not if I want to remain in good health.

Ah.  Milky cereal breath.  This combines two things I never eat, and never ever together. Milk and cereal.  Most of the world does, however.  I understand that. I accept that.  But you will never find me running one of those cute little college town eatery places that only serve endless concoctions of cereal and name-your-flavor milks.  Nope. Not for me.

But for my big boy...my baby...who is not only eating milky cereal in a bowl, with a spoon, but he is sitting at the table instead of his high chair.  I still love him...even if he chooses a life of milk and cereal sogginess.

5 comments:

Heath said...

Thats my little KimbleBreadMan good Boy. Dad will gladly eat ceral with you anytime little one.

Dan and Katie said...

WHAT?!? you are like the only person in the world who doesn't like cereal. I could eat it for every meal, except now since I am going dairy free for little Pete. Soy milk just isn't the same.

Colleen said...

Interesting! I didn't know this about you! And I have never heard of a cereal bar with choose-your-own milk. Weird!

kdaygirl said...

All I can say is Yummy! I remember the days of potato money from Uncle Jerry and buying my own box of cereal, you know you want some too!

Jude said...

At first when I started reading I thought it was odd, but sympathised; but as I continued reading I started imagining my kids eating Sugar Puffs (do you get them? Know what they are?) and knew EXACTLY what you meant. In fact my kids are all adults now, and I still hate the smell of them with milk on. (Oh, and 'odd' isn't quite the word I'm looking for - but you know what I mean?) :-)
Jude.x