Friday, January 13, 2012

Question:

So I've been really researching another venue for my next cookbook.  I love blurb, but the cost is really high.  Just so you know, my first cookbook is priced at almost 30 dollars, and I only get a few dollars of that.  I really want to make my next book much more affordable, while still being able to earn enough money to cover our medical costs for Kimble's surgery.

There are plenty of sites out there that will make 'fundraiser'-type recipe books.  These are usually spiral bound books, with a design on front, and something an office store would bound.  There are no pictures included.  It's all on type-written paper and thus, is printed in black and white.  Pictures don't look good when photocopied in black and white.

I'd really like to include lots of pictures, because I think a good picture can sell a recipe.  That being said, it restricts the type of recipe book I can make.

Do pictures matter to you?  Would you rather have one of those fundraiser-type recipe books, or would you be willing to pay more and have a nice print book with lots of pictures?

Edited to add:  What if I had a blog post, which I kept linked on the sidebar, that had a picture of each of the recipes that were in the book?  That way, people could still see what it looked like, but the recipe would be in a cheaper book?

13 comments:

DougandSheilah said...

I'm all about good pictures with the recipe.

CALM ELM CRAFTS said...

You could also do your own and print them at a FedEx/Kinko's and have them bind them. It costs about $3-$5 to bind them in spiral. You could probably do it all for about $12-$15.

scents4u2enjoy said...

Hi Shaina,
I would like pictures if I were to get one. I love to look at what my recipe is going to end up looking like. Btw we tried chicken pillows the other night,and they were a huge hit. The girls took it to school and ate them cold.Thanks for sharing it with us. Also I sell Gold Canyon Candles and could set up an online party for Kimble's surgery,to help raise funds.. Just let me know. I would be willing to donate all of my comissions. As well as comissions on future purchases that are repeat from the online party. Courtney who bought headbands recently.

Shavonne said...

Well, normally I like cookbooks to have lots of pictures, so I have to say that I think that is generally preferred. Hmm, tough one. I want you to get a better profit, but realistically pictures are the way to go. Sorry!

Karen and Matt said...

I like to see what it is that i'm going to eat, so I would go with pictures. Good luck on deciding!

Jennifer Magreevy said...

What about offering a jpeg file to those who order the recipe book that includes pictures of all of the recipes? That way if someone wants to print the pictures they can, or at least save them on their computer and look at them while menu/meal planning.

You do what you need to do to get the most bang for your buck. We're all here to support Kimble, you and your entire family. That is what matters most.

Ali said...

I like recipes with pictures. Print it yourself at a big box copy place or offer a file you can email to people.

Thanks for the pinterest button!

Andi said...

I'm with everyone else, I would like to see pictures with my recipes. It just makes you want to make that recipe if you can see what the finished product is going to look like or will help you stay on track with the recipe is suppose to look like. Good luck, I know whatever you do will be awesome!!

Jeff and Lori said...

I admit, pictures do make me want to try a recipe. However, I've tried enough of your recipes by now to trust your judgement. If you say the recipe is awesome, it probably is! So I'd buy the one without pictures, but I'd definitely check out the pics if you posted them on the sidebar.

Jen Sue Wild said...

What about and E cook book? Just sell it on Etsy. It wont cost you any thjing but time and then you sell the file to who ever wants to but it then they can print it if they want. I buy patterens like this all the time. So why not do a cook book.

Cynthia said...

I also love your photos with the recipes. Have you looked at Lulu.com? It's another self-publishing site. Do whatever is the best for you and your family, but I can say that I'd be happy to pay more for you to get a fair profit to help Kimble.

Alissa Maxwell said...

I was going to suggest the "E-book" route as well. Seems like so many bloggers are doing that these days, and I'm sure you could make a larger profit.

Jude said...

HI Shaina. My internet has been down so just catching up. Can't you do an EBook and sell it from right here on your blog? I read a couple of blogs where people sell Ebooks, digital stamps as downloads, etc on their blog. That way people could choose to print or not, but you could make the pages look just as you wanted? Maybe even offer the service to print, bind and post out if people were willing to pay the extra?
Oh! And I'm loving the adventures since I last visited. Your kids are toooooo cute! :-)
Jude.x