Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Normal Fluctuations?

As a followup to the last post, I called our cardiologist's office and had them leave a message for our doctor to call back. As he was out on consults most of the day, it wasn't until 5pm that I spoke with him.  He asked the normal questions:  Does his breathing rate change when he's having these episodes?  Is there anywhere else on his body that also looks blue?  Is his activity level changed?  Is he struggling in any other area? 

The answer was no.  Nothing is changed except that he suddenly has blue/purple lips.  Time of day varies, as does the activity we are doing.  Sometimes he's playing with toys.  Other times he is watching a cartoon.  Some days it's early morning, and other times it's in the afternoon.

The only thing that worried  me, as I explained to our doctor, was that it was happening more frequently.  I use to never see his lips blue.  Then, two weeks ago, I saw his lips blue and they stayed that way for at least half an hour.  Then we began to see it more frequently, and sometimes a few times a day.

Our doctor said, based on his questions, that it seemed to be a normal fluctuation.  Sometimes circulation is better than other times.  Because he doesn't change activity level, and his body isn't turning blue, we should be ok.  We are fine with waiting until next week's appointment, to have his regular checkup.

On one hand, I feel so much better.  I really worked myself up into a mess yesterday, thinking that things were going wrong and how utterly unprepared I was to have Kimble back in the hospital again.  All the emotions that I prefer to keep bottled up on a daily basis totally swung out into view.  I had a few friends that gave me words of comfort, but the bottom line was that it was a hard day.

On the other hand, I still feel like this is leading towards problems with Kimble's heart.  Blue lips may be ok sometimes, but at the rate of frequency, I think it's a sign of things to come...and they might come sooner than later.  I'm trying not to jump the gun, but as someone who needs to be completely prepared for whatever may come, I'm now in alert mode.  I hate alert mode.

Thank you for your thoughts and comments on the previous post. I know so many people out there, many who I've never met, have Kimble on their thoughts and prayers as well.  I appreciate that. I makes me feel comforted. Thank you.

Here's a picture of me and Mr. Kimble, before I left for Jury Duty this morning.  I still refer to him as my baby, but he's getting so big!

11 comments:

Cynthia said...

I'm so glad it's normal. Best wishes for a great Jury Duty!! I'm jealous.

Jude said...

That sounds so reassuring and promising. You'll remain in my thoughts. As for being your baby..... my 3 are all adults. The youngest is getting married and moving to the USA once his visa is sorted (late summer this year probably) but they are all still my babies. Even when he is a strapping 6 foot teenager giving you grief about wanting to go out with his mates on a Saturday night, you will still be worrying about him! It's called being a Mum!!! :-D Much love and hugs. Jude.x

linda said...

You and Kimble have been in my thoughts all day.. Thank you for the update.. Continued prayers and hugs from a friend in Fort Collins

Jeff and Lori said...

It does sound reassuring that your cardiologist doesn't seem flustered by the Kimble's symptoms. However I've experienced alert mode and it is not fun. Lots of thoughts and prayers heading your way.

Karen and Matt said...

That is reassuring, and I'm glad you feel better. However to be in alert mode is no fun. Keeping you guys in our thoughts and prayers! Love the picture with you and Mr. Kimble, very cute!!!

courtney said...

I am gald that he is doing well, and that the doctor doesn't seem too worried about it. I just hope that the check up indicates that nothing is wrong and you wont have to be on alert mode. Know that even though it is scary and you may feel alone, many many people are thinking of you often!Love you tons!

ryanamysmom said...

You and Mr. K are in my prayers - Keep a close eye on him!

DougandSheilah said...

We are praying for you and your baby. Ben will be 12 this year and is still my baby. Where did the time go? :) He'll be passing sacrament in September and dating in four more years

Elise said...

Keeping you both in my thoughts and prayers. It's always scary when things change or go haywire and alert mode starts. Been there quite a few times with Matt and it's always so hard and scary. I'm thinking about you and pray that everything goes well next week at his appointment.

Julie said...

Wow- I can totally understand the alert mode. I'm sure it seems like a long wait until the appointment! For me it feels like that anyway, just wanting reassurance that things are still going well. If I had something causing me concern, I'm sure I would be really anxious for Adam to be seen! We'll be thinking of you and sweet Kimble!

And, by the way, I LOVE that picture of the two of you. You look absolutely fabulous!

Colleen said...

OY! I'd have been freaking out too. I am glad it sounds like it is normal, but I would hope to have some follow up sooner as well. Love you Kimble, and you are always in our prayers!