Wednesday, March 28, 2012

First Youth Trip To The Temple!


Yesterday I accompanied the youth in our ward (church) to the Denver Temple to do baptisms.  It was my first time as a leader,and it was Kamy's first time as a youth.  In preparation for this, I couldn't help but think back to my first time going to the temple, when I was 12 years old.  I knew that we were supposed to wear our best.  I remember looking through my closet for something that was appropriately labeled as "my best".  My regular church dresses and skirts just didn't seem to have the magnificence I was looking for.  Then, my eyes beheld a prom dress.  Yes. That was certainly the best!

I remember my mom asking me to show her the clothes I had prepared. Since it was an overnight trip because the temple was 7 hours away, I had a little duffel bag full of clothes. I pulled out the prom dress to show my mom what dress I would be wearing to the temple.  She vetoed it right away.  "But we are supposed to wear our best!"  My mom then explained that our regular church dresses are plenty good enough, and it's more that our thoughts and reverence should be clean and pure, thereby our actions and mannerisms are 'the best'.  Oh!

So I fondly told Kamy that childhood memory of mine, as I instructed her to be her best.  It was wonderful to be able to share that experience with Kamy, as she participated in the ordinances of the temple.

If you would like to know more about The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, or our Temples, then please follow this LINK.

3 comments:

Awaiting Ada said...

I love that your Sunday best was a prom dress, such a cute story!

Jude said...

That's a lovely story. Hope you had a lovely time.

I keep trying to leave comments but Blogger keeps eating them! I'm determined to work it out this time. :-) Just wanted to say that I've loved all the posts you've done about the children; and isn't Kimble the spitting image of his Daddy? There'd be no mistaking that any of the children belonged to the two of you; but Kimble.... Jude.x

Colleen said...

Such a sweet experience for you both!