He built a door frame, screwed in boards to the brick wall, then screwed the frame to the wood beams. Keaton helped him the entire time, and I did a little bit too, by sealing the wood with an all-weather sealant.
Once the frame was on and secure, they attached the posts. It looks so great!
Now we have privacy. Hallelujah!
We liked the new gate so much, that we made another one on the other side of the house, where the existing gate was almost in pieces. This time, Keaton got to help drill everything, and he loved it. (The cubscout neckerchief was to help protect his neck from the hot rays of the sun!)
Gate number two: Done. You can see the old gate, propped up next to them (Kimble liked to think he helped too.) The old wood posts on the old gate were taken off and attached to our property fence, replacing some gaps that we had. We feel so productive!