Friday, June 1, 2012

When I was 12

In just a few days, I will be going back to Girls Camp.  Not since I was 17, have I been to Girls Camp.  It's for young women ages 12-18, in our church, and it's normally 4-6 days long.  It varies, from area to area, the theme, activities, camp life, and other such differences.  But there are a few things that are the same.  Your first year of camp is when you are 12 years old.  There is excitement at having a grand adventure outside of your family life.  You get to camp (whether it's in cabins or tents) with other girls who are just as excited.  It's a fun time, and I have very fond memories of Girls Camp from when I was a youngster. 

From my first year, I don't remember much of the daily activities.  But there are a few specifics I remember.  For instance, I remember sharing a tent with my best friend, Tisha, and her mom, who was our Camp Leader.  The three of us were together most of the time, having fun and playing tricks on other campers.  Under the direction of Tisha's mom, we woke up around midnight one night and snuck around to each of the other ward's campsites.  As quietly as we could, we unsecured all the tent poles from the ground and softly made the tents collapse atop the sleeping campers.  What a surprise they would  all get, when they awoke in the morning to find their tent had collapsed in the night!  We must have undone over 20 tents, and we giggled silently the entire time.

Remember, this was our camp leader's idea!  In the morning, instead of girls finding it funny, there was drama and ranting and frustration all around.  Tisha's mom confessed that it was us who did it, and we had to personally apologize to everyone, as well as get their tents set up again.  Tisha and I received a lot of harsh glares the rest of the camping time, and I just remember thinking "It was Sister Bunch's idea!  She told us to do it!  I'm just a 12 year old follower!"  Ha ha.

Another vivid memory of camp that year, was regarding my clothes.  I remember having a whole duffel bag filled with clothing, but after waking up in the chilly morning, I didn't want to change out of my warm clothes.  Then at night, it was chilly again, and I didn't want to change. Then, the next morning...still the same clothes.  I think I wore the same thing, pictured below, for at least four days.  "Hmm...looks pretty good. I'll just wear this again!"   As a child who grew up on a ranch, and was often dirty, this was not an unusual thing, to stay in the same clothes.  My friend Tisha (pictured with me) probably stayed in the same clothes as well.  We were two peas in a pod.


My family moved from Arizona to Washington later that summer, so that was the only Girls Camp that I attended with Tisha.  However, we made sure to have our paths cross every chance we got.  We didn't see each other again until our college years, but we had written letters most of our childhood, so we were still close.

Then Tisha got married, and as I was on my way to her reception, my car had some mechanical issues, and I never made it.  It was about 10 years later, that we finally saw each other again, and it was just like old times.  True friendship lasts through the years!


I saw Tisha again a few years ago, when I was pregnant with Kimble.  Then, just a few months ago, our paths crossed again.  We are still the same girls who shared a childhood together and became each other's first best friends...but we are more dedicated to personal hygiene than we were as kids.


So as I mentioned at the beginning of this post, I'm heading back to Girls Camp, and this time I'm a leader.  For the first time herself, Kamy will be going to camp too.  She is excited to make her own memories, and doesn't seem to mind the fact that I'll be there as well.  One thing's for sure...both of us will change our clothes everyday!

3 comments:

Colleen said...

Cute reminiscence! Change your clothes yes, but shower, not so much! Only one shower per camper per week! FUN! :)

Becky said...

Love the pictures! So fun.
Girls camp memories are so fun and at times funny. I hope you have a great time.

courtney said...

Did Tisha live near the elementary school? For some reason I remember having a little friend that I played with in Kindergarten that lived in a house similar to the one I see in the background of your first picture.