Monday, September 3, 2012

Laundry Soap

 
I do more laundry per day, than any other chore in the house.  I try my hardest to stay on top of it, by doing two loads every day.  I stock up on laundry soap when it's on sale.  I wash everything in cold water.  I wash large loads.  In essence, laundry practically accounts for my daily accomplishments.
 
So recently, when I found this post on pinterest, about homemade laundry soap and the money you can save by making your own (under 20 dollars), not to mention how long one batch of this laundry soap will last you (up to 9  months, depending on how many loads you do a day) and how little soap you have to use in the washing machine (between 1-2 Tablespoons), I was ready to try it. So I wrote down the ingredients and made a trip to the store to buy what I needed.
 
I made the laundry soap.  I adjusted the recipe a bit.  I used the soap. It's a good thing.  It smells nice. I cleans well.  It is super affordable. It makes me happy.
 
I read through her entire post, including her suggestions on what to use and what not to use, as well as if it is acceptable for different washing machine brands, I also read through all the comments about what people suggested and how much they liked this laundry soap.  If it worked for them, it'll work for me.
 
So, going along with the recipe that she had on her post, I adjusted mine slightly, based on what I could get at the store. Here is how I made mine.
 
1 box Borax (4 lb 12 oz)
1 box Arm & Hammer Baking Soda (4 lb)
1 box Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda (3 lb 7 oz)
*3 bars of Fels-Naptha Soap
*1 container of Oxy Clean (5 lb)
*2 bottles of Laundry Crystals (whatever scent you like) (28 oz each) (see picture)
(all ingredients are found in the same aisle in the laundry section of your store, except for the baking soda, which is found in the baking aisle.)
 
 
*The differences I made with my recipe: I upped the oxy clean from 3.5 lbs(her suggested amount) to 5 lbs for two reasons.  1. The store didn't have any small containers to add up to 3.5 lbs, so I went with the 5 lb container.  2.  For how dirty my kids' clothes are, and the size of loads I do, I think having more oxy clean was a good decision.  Also, instead of simply grating the Fels-Naptha soap using a cheese grater, I used my food processor.  (One of the complaints in the comment section was that the soap didn't dissolve all the way...so I fixed that problem by first sending it through the grating attachment of my food processor, then I inserted the blade and processed it until it was ground up like sand.)
 
The other change I made was adding laundry crystals.  Without them, there isn't much scent left on the clothes, and I like my clothes smelling lovely.  So I added two bottles of laundry crystals, and I still use fabric softener in the wash loads.  Smells just perfect now.
 
You can follow her instructions, for how to make it, by combining everything in a large garbage bag and mixing it (or shaking it) around until it is thoroughly combined.  Store  in a closed container.  It was suggested to use between 1-2 Tbsp of soap per load.  I use 2 Tbsp, going back to my reasoning that I do very large loads of laundry.
 
It's been a few weeks, and I love it.  I'll definitely keep using it, and hopefully it'll be another 8 months or so before I have to make more!
 
(FYI:  I got the glass container (10 gallon) at Walmart for 10 bucks.)
 
 

2 comments:

Trinette McCrary said...

I made mine 5 months ago and I have probably about 5 more months to go....awesome! The crystals are a great idea. I will have to try that in the next batch I make!

Becky said...

Thanks for the idea! I will have to try it out. I LOVE your container too.