Monday, September 3, 2012

The Day The Heater Died

 Just over a week ago, I was blissfully sleeping all snug in my bed, when The Husband flipped on the lights with force and said "Babe. Get Up. We have a flood in the basement."

It was about 10:30 pm (yes, I go to bed early because I am so.tired.all.the.time.  "Oh, you are just tired because you have five kids" says the annoying medical professional I discussed this with, and who said my bloodwork came back "just perfect".  No. I should not be this tired all the time, and yet, I am. So I deal with it, and that normally means going to bed as soon as I can get the kids down.  On this particular night, I went to bed at 8:30pm).  So, back to being so abruptly awoken.  I go downstairs to see what The Husband is talking about, and as soon as I finish stepping off the last stair into the basement, I feel water-logged carpet squishing between my toes.  We notice that the water is coming from the utility closet, and upon opening it, we see that the hot water heater is leaking and there is water everywhere.

So we turn off the hot water heater so it will stop leaking more, and assess the damage.  At this point, I was so happy that Heath had discovered the flooding at night, versus in the morning when the flooding would have reached the entire basement. Since the hot water heater had busted a pipe, it was continuously trying to fill the tank, which continuously provided for  more water to be leaked out, which continuously extended the flood-zone.  Blessings in disguise.

We called a friend; apologized for calling so late, but explained how we needed help.  He came over right away to look at everything for us.  Bottom line: We needed a new hot water heater, and he would be happy to help install it.

It was Saturday night.  He could help us get it installed on Monday night.  With that plan in action, we brought out our big fan to dry the carpet, and all the extra towels we had, to sop up all the water from the carpets.  We went to bed about midnight.

Sunday morning came and we were happy the kids had all bathed the night before.  I wet my hair under the faucet, with cold water, and then styled my hair as normal.  The next day, we did it again.  We also washed dishes in cold water, and were just happy that we still had running water.

Monday I bought a new hot water heater, and a new regulator (which balances the water pressure, something that was not working properly before and probably attributed to the burst pipe) and 400 dollars later, we had Scott come back over and then he and The Husband installed everything.

 
And now, I have the old hot water heater sitting on my back porch.
 


5 comments:

Katie Reng said...

Call one of those metal-recycling places; they come pick it up for you!

Colleen said...

Blah. No fun! But it's good to know that is one thing you won't have to replace again anytime soon. We walked this road this summer too, the story sounds just like ours!

courtney said...

I totally know the feeling of going into the basement to find it flooded...one of the worste feelings!

I'm glad that it worked out though! If you ever flood again, a pump vacumn makes such a difference in getting water up. Putting the fans on the wet spots is good too!

I'm glad that you have good friends that will come and help in teh middle of the night!

DougandSheilah said...

I was super tired to and the regular doc told me I was fine. I went to a naturopath and she said at least part of my problem is that my adrenal gland is fatigued. To help it I take a "B super complex" vitamin. It really does help. That may not be all your problems but taking won't hurt and may help some. Good luck.

Darryl Iorio said...

That was unfortunate! Good thing your husband noticed the leak early, and kept water from further damaging the house. Otherwise, you would have found yourself spending at least $400. Anyway, it is great to have a friend that knows DIY repairs. And I can say that he is a true friend, considering he came over in the middle of the night just to help you with your water leak problem.


@Darryl Iorio