Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Bill Coon

 
At our heart meeting last week, we had the opportunity to hear from Bill Coon. He is an author of the book Swim and he was on tour throughout the country, discussing the fact that he is a two-time heart transplant recipient, and how his life has changed because he was born with congenital heart defects.
 
His book is partly a compilation of his journal entries as he was in congestive heart failure, waiting for diagnosis, and having his second heart transplant.  It's written from his perspective of dealing with having a life of heart defects.
 
His story touched me because he shared his own personal experiences and struggles, from the perspective of having heart defects.  I have a different perspective, that of a care-giver of someone who has heart defects.  I realize that although I'm a great advocate for Kimble, he is going to have his own story to tell, which will be very different from mine.
 
As I've journeyed through the past three years, dealing and managing our new reality relating to Kimble's heart defects, I've wanted to document everything I could, as it was happening, so I could accurately relate Kimble's story to him when he got old enough to understand it.  Not only that, it was a great way for family and friends to know exactly what we were going through.
 
However, there is one more part to this reason why I documented everything so well.  It was because I would someday like to share his story in a more public way. I'd love to write a book about our experiences, and hope that our story would help other families going through similar things, and also to promote awareness of congenital heart defects.
 
Having these goals, and then meeting Bill Coon and realizing he is doing the same thing, really sparks a fire in me to do it too.  Maybe someday in the next few years, I can send Bill Coon my book, and share with him our story, just like he shared his with us.

No comments: