Wednesday, December 19, 2012

A Christmas Letter From "Coal"

 
 
 Kolby has given some serious thought to what he wants for Christmas. I always encourage the kids to express themselves in written form.  Kolby took the opportunity at school, to write a letter to "Dad" (even though he said it was for both Mom and Dad) to personally share what he wanted for Christmas. 

It reminds me so much of when Ralphie (from A Christmas Story) writes this "theme" letter assignment from his teacher.  He dreams of it being well received, gets glorious comments and an A+++++++++ on it, and is positive it's the best paper ever written.

Kolby brought home his paper, sealed in an envelope with the words "To Mom and Dad" written on the front, and pretended it came in the mail. He was so excited to give it to me, and encouraged me to open it right then, with a big Ralphie-like smile on his face.  This is what was inside.

 
(It's written in his very neat writing, and I can tell he worked hard on his lettering, as well as his sentence structure.)
Dear Dad, I bet it is hard for you to get money, so let me tell you what I want. I want a wii-U.  I love it. I saw it on a commercial.  It is black and can be indoors or outdoors.  And chores (...) dun dun dun (done done done).  I will not get in trouble. I will be occupied. That is why I would like a wii-U.
Your compassionate son,
Coal
 
First, I want to address that he signed it "Coal".  I guess he shortened his name from Kolby, and I'm not sure whether it was intentional for him to spell it "Coal" due to the holidays, or if he just didn't know how to write "Kole".  Secondly, I chuckled at his "compassionate son"   Finally, I love that he knows that chores and attitude is a major motivating factor in whether or not he gets rewards.
 
I love getting letters like this.

No comments: