Monday, December 10, 2012

Hospital Pajamas

 *Edited to add:  I am happy to announce that I am now selling these Hospital Pajamas in my shop: Huckleberry Blossom!*

One of my goals before Kimble had his surgery (which was rescheduled for next year) was to make him a set of pajamas that he could wear while in the hospital.  Having gone through three heart surgeries previously, I think I knew what type of pajamas would work.

I envisioned something similar to the hospital gowns they give you to wear, only I wanted it cuter, more functional, and warmer!  The hospital gowns had an opening in the back, that tied closed in a few places.  I wanted something that tied closed in the front, reason being, that Kimble's chest incision would need to be checked, and therefore we needed easy access. Plus, who wants a big knot from your gown being tied in back; makes for some uncomfortableness, especially when you have to lie still on your back during recovery.

After thinking about this, I realized that what I needed was essentially a robe and pajama bottom set.  So I discussed this with my sister Sharon, who is masterful at all things sewing, and she said she'd help me with a pattern.  She ended up finding a pajama set in a pattern magazine that she subscribes to, and after altering it a bit to fit my idea, she made a set for Kimble.  This is her little guy, Max, modeling it for me.




Isn't it adorable?  She made it in a cute retro cowboy print, and since Kimble loves cowboys and wears his cowboy boots/hat everywhere, we thought it would be perfect.

She sent me the pattern, and the set she made.  However, that was right about the end of October, just when we found out that Kimble's surgery was now rescheduled for next year.  He wouldn't need hospital pajamas right away, but that didn't stop me from wanting to learn how to make them now.  So right about that time, my sister Sharon came to visit for a few weeks (more on that later) and she helped me make the first set (I'm such a visual/action learner. If someone tells me how to do something, then I can do it, but reading a pattern is still hard for me to understand.).  Here are some more sets that I made him.  One set is Mustaches, another is Robots, and a third (not pictured) are cute little whales.




I absolutely love them so much.  They are comfy and fit perfectly. They allow for heart monitors or wires or IVs or other hospital cords to come down out of the bottom of the robe jacket and away from the child's hands (there are a lot of pulling and tugging of cords/wires that happens if they are seen by the baby/child) and you can still check the chest surgical site by pulling back on the robe opening, but the child can still be clothed.  The pajama pants can be worn even if there are IVs in the legs, and they stay warm. When they are able to walk around, they are fully clothed and no shivers will happen if a slight breeze comes through, like it would if they were wearing a hospital gown.

I'd like to eventually sell these sets in my etsy shop. I'm sure that there are other parents out there who would like something better than what the hospital gowns offer.  If you are one of those parents, just email me (kamyrensmiles@hotmail.com) and I'll see what I can do to help you out.  Until then, and until Kimble's next surgery, he has four sets of these robe/pajama sets and I love them so much.  Kimble does too!

10 comments:

Karen R said...

I bet hospital shops would sell them for you.

Shavonne said...

Oh those are so cute! I love the pattern combos, especially the last set of robots. Very nice job!

Alissa Maxwell said...

AMAZING! Before I got to the end, I was thinking "You HAVE to sell these on Etsy!" I have to think that many, many, many parents of kids facing hospital stays would be clamoring to buy them. I've also seen people selling patterns on Etsy, so that could be a short term option for other parents (or grandparents, aunts, friends) to make their own.

Alissa Maxwell said...

um, just for added motivaiton, I googled "Children's Hospital Pajamas" and the only thing that comes up is pjs with medical logos. One site does sell something similar to your set, but not anywhere close to as cute... for $130!!!
http://www.nursinghomeapparel.com/shop/pediatric-hospital-pajama-sets.html

Sharon said...

I need to makre them for my kids now, I really love how they all turned out

Shannon said...

You should totally market these! Not sure how you'd reach your client base, but maybe the hospitals could help you out with that. Networking will be the key to selling these well. Then again, I think they'd be super cute even for my children who don't have hospital visits. So, your market could broaden simply because of how adorable they are!

Colleen said...

SO cute! Love them! I agree with all the comments above!

Mags said...

I am a visual learner too and patterns are NOT easy to understand. I think we all need a portable Sharon in our lives! Nice work!

Catina Quinn said...

Do you sell these?

shaina said...

Catina, I don't sell them right now. I don't have all the pattern sizes I would need. Still a work in progress!