Wednesday, December 26, 2012

The North Pole

The North Pole is actually just about 25 minutes away from us, nestled in the mountainside of Pikes Peak.  It's open about 9 months of the year, but I'm sure the busiest month for them is December, and it's a mini-amusement park of sorts, with a Christmas theme.  Since living in Colorado for the past four years, we have never been.  On Christmas Eve day, we decided to change that.

Going back to our Make-A-Wish trip this summer, upon leaving GKTW, we were given a  packet of information.  Within that packet was a list of places separated by state. These listed organizations are supporters of wish kids, and thus have granted one day's worth of free admission to wish families for the year following their wish trip. In our area, The North Pole was listed as one of these organizations.  So following the instructions, I emailed them a week in advance, and told them we planned on going on Christmas Eve.  As per the reply, there were tickets waiting for us at the entrance.  Pretty cool, eh?

So we arrived about 20 minutes before the attractions opened.  Although there was no snow at the time, we were in the eve of a winter storm, not to mention high up in the mountains, and it was about 20 degrees outside.  Brrrr.  We waited patiently, but all of us were pretty frigid. Here's Kolby, all bundled up.

We made it inside, warmed up a bit, and then went outside again to stand in line to see Santa.  After all, you have to see Santa if you are at the North Pole!  Since we went there fist, the line wasn't too long, and within 15 minutes, we were sitting on Santa's lap (not me...the kids) and telling him what we wanted for Christmas.

Then we went on a few rides.  We rode the Train, we went on the Tilt-A-Whirl, rode a little rollercoaster, and visited a shop or two (mostly to get warmed up!).

We had been there about an hour and a half, when Kimble began to be uncontrollable in his state of mind. He didn't understand why we had to wait in line, why we had to leave a fun ride after it was over, and why his hands were so cold (he wouldn't keep them snug in his jacket or pockets).  We were waiting in line for a little car ride, when we couldn't keep Kimble happy any longer.   He was crying and whining and throwing a fit, and although we were within minutes of being next in line, we decided that the day wasn't going to get any warmer, and Kimble wasn't going to understand line limitations any better, so we made the quick decision to leave.

Upon hearing that we were going, Kennedy lost it. She cried and cried and Kimble cried and cried, and by the time we pulled out of the parking lot, they were sad sad children.  However, we promised them hot cocoa when we got home, and after giving them all a packet of fruit snacks, they quieted down.

Although we were sad we had to go, we were happy we got to experience a bit of The North Pole, even in the short time we were there. Perhaps on a warmer day next year, we can give it another go.