Monday, January 7, 2013

Dinner Time


We always eat dinner together, as a family, every night.  It's usually between 5-6pm.  I make one meal, and everyone eats it.  I've never made separate meals for the kids.  Some people do that, but we don't.  We have a variety of meals, and the kids are never unhappy with what I serve for dinner. In fact, I think it's the highlight of their day. They love experimenting with new recipes just as much as I do, and the question of the day is always "What's for dinner tonight, mom?"

The kids do have their favorites, and also some that they don't love as much, but I rarely hear complaining.  In fact, it's quite the opposite.  Moans of pleasure and words of gratitude are commonplace around the dinner table   It makes me happy.  

On this night, we had Zuppa Toscana Soup and Breadsticks (both recipes are in my first cookbook!) and the kids couldn't wait to dig in.  I still have a bit leftover...lunchtime is calling my name!

2 comments:

Joolz said...

Good old home cooking - nothing like it! So many people today rely on pre-made/cooked food that some kids wouldn't know what home cooking is. We always sit together for our meals too - as our girls got older I think they wanted to eat in front of the TV but I make them eat at the table.

I'm with you, I love it when I get compliments about my meals. I take pride in cooking good food for my family and take-away food is for treats only and we rarely have it because I can cook better pizzas, tacos, burgers etc.

You are a good mama!

Cheers - Joolz

Shannon said...

I'm glad your kids enjoy your cooking. We're going thru a whiny, complaining phase about dinner right now and I'm not exactly sure why. It's quite frustrating, but I'll persist.