Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Will Power

I really really like to cook.  I spend my free time looking at recipe books, reading recipe blogs, and flipping through recipe magazines.  I find it so satisfying to make a great dinner.  I like to cook for my family.  I like to cook for my friends.  I like to bring dinners to friends who aren't feeling well or those who have just had a baby.  When I'm traveling, or sick, or in the hospital with Kimble, or for whatever reason am away from my kitchen, I'm not very happy without a home-cooked meal.

Lately, I've been trying to figure out what food sensitivities I have.  As a result, I have eliminated almost everything from my diet, to create a clean slate, of sorts, so that when I bring these 'trigger' foods back one at a time, I'll know which foods I'm allergic to, which foods I have a sensitivity to, and which foods are fine for me to eat.

So for the past few weeks, I've had a completely different diet than the rest of my family has.  However, since I'm the main cook in the family, I've still been making them food as well.  (Although I have to add that The Husband has done wonderfully in taking over cooking meals.  He likes to cook as well, and so many days he will go in and figure out what to feed the masses...).  It's been hard to make tacos or lasagna or swedish meatballs and mashed potatoes for the family, but not be able to have one bite. Not even a taste to check for seasoning.

I smell the food. I make the food. I serve the food...but I don't eat the food.  It takes a lot of willpower.  However, I see the vision of what I'm trying to accomplish.  I don't want to be negatively influenced by the food I eat.  I know something that I'm eating is triggering health issues.  I'm determined to find out what it is.

So temporarily, I feel restricted with food.  It's hard to enjoy the fruit of my labors if I can't eat it with everyone else.  I'm tempted by everything I see, but swayed by nothing.  I'm staying strong. I'm going to fight this battle and win.

3 comments:

Jen Sue Wild said...

Great job keep it up..

Sharon said...

You can do this! It will be nice to know what food bugs you. Have you ever thought of getting that allergy prick test?

Jude said...

It will be worth it if you manage to work out which food(s) you have intolerance to. M favourite treat of Hot buttered toast went"out the window" years ago, when I discovered Butter gave me migraines :-( "Hot margarined Toast" does doesn't have the same appeal. lol. Hope you sort it out soon.Jude.x