Sunday, February 24, 2013

Old(er)

Sometimes I sit around and think about how old I am.  Not that I feel old, or am particularly ancient.  I just have such vivid memories of what I was doing and how I was feeling when I was my kids' age.

I totally remember being in 2nd grade and wanting to trade Garbage Pail Kids cards with my friends.  I remember when Gremlins came out and I was jealous of my friend who had a little Gizmo.

I remember peeing my pants in kindergarten, and feeling very embarrassed.

I remember falling off a horse when I was 11 years old, because the saddle wasn't tightened well enough.  My sister Kim and I were galloping around a corner and the saddle slid to the side...and so did we!

I remember being so excited to turn 13 and actually be a teenager.

I remember wearing white church shoes when I was 8, and loving that they had a chunky heel on them, and likewise, I would steal my mom's knee high nylons and wear them, feeling very grown up.

I remember so much through Jr High, High School, and college. I remember the early years of my marriage. I remember childhood friends and childhood bullies.

I remember seeing other adults, and not even able to imagine that they were kids once, or that they weren't really as old as I viewed them as.

Now I would guess that other kids might have the same childhood perspective as I did.  Do I seem old and out of touch with what they are going through?  I feel like I'm hip and trendy, but do they see me that way?

I guess I don't really care, because they are probably as naive as I was.  However, I still ponder about my age, and my life experience, and sometimes I can't believe that I'm as old as I am, married, with five kids, and getting so many gray hairs.  Of course, the gray hairs started prematurely, about 10 years ago, but they are persistent. 

These are just some of the things I think about, as I see my kids and relate to exactly what they are going through.  Life is a journey well worth remembering, and a I remember a lot.

No comments: