Wednesday, April 10, 2013

(NOT) A Hole In One

 
My kids have been in a state of disrepair for months.  At the beginning of the school year, I bought them each 4 pairs of pants.  All of them, within months, had holes in the knees.  Big, giant, terrible-looking holes that made the kids look unkept and dingy.  I hated it, but was more frustrated with how quickly their pants get holes in them, and didn't want to buy more jeans only to turn around a few weeks later and see them ruined.  So they kept wearing them.

Soon, all the kids were down to one pair of  jeans, which they wore everyday.  I had enough.  I bought them each two pairs of jeans (most were on clearance, hallelujah) to ride out the rest of the school year. 

This morning, they all wore their new jeans to school, and it was such a vision of excellence, to see perfect jeans, unripped and unholey.

Who wants to place bets on how long it'll be before I see the first hole?

6 comments:

Sue5007 said...

I am right there with you on this. I feel the same way about my kids jeans I also just bought a new pair two weeks ago for my son who had been down to one pair for weeks. And yet I remember the same thing happening to the jeans that my siblings and I wore. So I try to not be too upset. We always kept the holey jeans and made them into shorts for the summer, so I try to do that too, unless the waist gets too tight by then.
But it really is nice to have everyone looking respectable again. :)

Adri said...

Oh, my...doesn't that just drive you nuts! I finally broke down and bought my big kids each a new pair, too! And, I spent my snow day cutting down 5 pair of jeans into various shorts and capris for summer. I totally copied your cute Capri idea for Kate, adding fabric to the bottom to make them more fun!

Jude said...

I used to put iron-on interfacing on the knees of my kids trousers before they even wore them.. Helped them last longer believe it or not. Still ended up with holes, just not quite so soon... Could be worth trying? Jude.x

Shere said...

Holey jeans drove me nuts when my boys were little! To stop the hole madness, I bought some iron on patches and I ironed them on the inside of the jeans before they had even worn them. Doubled the life and sometimes they would even last the school year. A lot of the time the really ugly ones would be on clearance and I could get them for less than a dollar for a pack of 4. Doesn't matter how they look because they are on the inside, although my boys would not wear the jeans if I used pink.

courtney said...

At least you'll get to make some more of those super cute shorts with the frills!

But I hear Ya!!

Katie Reng said...

I put iron-on patches on at least my boys' jeans, it DEFINTELY helps them last a lot longer. You can get really thick, canvas-like ones at JoAnn's or WalMart.